Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Are fiberglass hammer handles better than wood?

HerHusband wrote:
For heavy construction and demolition, I use a 3 lb sledge hammer.
In the past I have always purchased quality, name brand hammers with
wooden handles. Every year I break at least one handle, and the cost
of the replacement handles is almost as much as a new hammer, so I
just buy a new hammer.
I just broke another wooden handle, and went to buy another sledge
hammer. The place I went, no longer sells them with wooden handles.
They are all fiberglass handles now. I bought one, it cost about $3
more than the last time I bought one with a wooden handle. But if the
handle lasts longer, it will be well worth the extra $3.
But are they any better??? Will figerglass last longer? Somehow
I cant see where glass strands and epoxy will be stronger, in fact
it seems like it would be weaker.

I don't know about hammers, but fiberglass shovel handles are definitely
stronger than wood shovel handles. I used to break wooden shovel handles at
least once a year trying to dig out rocks and roots. I finally splurged on
a shovel with a fiberglass handle and have had the same shovel now for over
20 years.

That said, I've never broken a hammer or axe handle unless I have missed
the item I was trying to strike and hit the handle instead.

Personally, I think those heavier hammers should have steel handles,
and I mean thick steel, not that cheap thin pipe they use on some
cheap carpenter hammers, which comes with a rubber grip that keeps
sliding off the handle.

Steel doesn't absorb vibration the way wood or fiberglass does, and it adds
weight. Having said that my main framing hammer is a one piece steel design
with a nice rubber handle (has never slipped off). Being steel, the handle
tapers much thinner than a wood handle, I assume to save weight. I don't
know what brand it is, I've had it 15-20 years.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com

Hi,
I tried all three kinds, wood, fiberglass, steel. I still prefer wooden
handle.