Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Average cost of transfer switch and power inlet

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:09:06 AM UTC-5, Art Todesco wrote:
On 11/6/2013 11:18 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

wrote in message

Please provide the cite for that. And explain why if

it's not permitted, why major panel manufacturers have listed

lockout slides for their panels, for exactly the purpose I

outlined?

The sad thing is that those plates and about 3 screws and nuts cost from

about $ 50 to $ 100. Should be less than $ 20 for what it cost to make

them.

Yes, but, they are soooooo nice. I built a house 5 years ago and they

put in an emergency panel. So, only a select set of breakers get

powered from the generator. This is ok, but I wish I had remembered the

mechanical interlock thing, when building. Here's a link to one of

them: http://www.interlockkit.com/ Yes they are overpriced for what

you get, but, especially on a retrofit, it is much easier and cheaper

than the alternative.

+1

It gives you the flexibility to power anything you choose
in the house. IDK why anyone would want the subpanel approach,
unless the inspector won't approve the lockout method.
I think subpanel idea come from an automatic standby generator,
in which case it makes sense. But for a portable generator,
the slide lockout makes a lot more sense. Unless I guess you're
incapable of figuring out how to manage the load from the main
panel.