Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair

Default beware of the updates you install

Most in this group are knowledgeable computer users. But an occasional
reminder to "Beware!" can't hurt.

Some months back I installed the Microsoft compatibility update that allows
Office 2000 programs to read and write XML files (.docs, .xlsx, etc). (It
works fine, by the way.)

The problem is that the new formats appeared with Office 2007. Windows Update
now thought my Office software was the 2007 version. I started receiving
prompts to install security updates for it.

Common sense told me it wouldn't be a good idea to modify Office 2000 programs
with Office 2007 updates. So when updates were needed, I cleared the
checkboxes for these. Unfortunately...

Yesterday, I accidentally clicked the wrong button, and they were installed.
It was particularly annoying that repeated clicks on the "Halt the Update!"
button had no effect.

The result was that Word 2000 (and the other Office components, I assume) were
buggered. The Preview display was screwed up, and I got error messages when I
tried to print.

Fortunately, reversing the updates' installation and restarting the computer
fixed the problem. I was out only 15 minutes' inconvenience.

Don't assume factory-recommended updates are appropriate. Look before you
leap, and all those other clichés.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land