Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default 220 Volt Plugs

On 11/3/2013 10:07 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/01/2013 11:05 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't see that as a problem either. Maybe in some devices that do not
have any internal protection it could. The devices plugged in should have
their own fuses/breakers for their own protection. The main breaker is to
protect the wiring.

The wiring and the receptacle. A 6-15 recep is not tested for or listed
for loads higher than 15A (maybe 20A for a safety factor) 50A is
definitely pushing it.

The garden variety 15A duplex receptacle we use is rated 20A for both
halves together and for 20A wire through. (It certainly will be used
that way when connected to a 20A circuit.)

A 20A receptacle on a 50A circuit is a code violation (210.21-B-3).
Should be apparent that doing the same thing bu changing to a 50A plug
is also a violation.