Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

On 29/10/2013 15:15, Adrian wrote:
On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:11:37 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Sounds to me like standardisation might be a good plan...

Yes if it worked! We all have come across toilets which don't work. My
childhood memories fail to register a high level 2 gallon toilet which
didn't.

Now why would anybody install, and then leave, a toilet that didn't work?

You are misreading "don't work".

There are plenty about that technically work (i.e. flush and refill),
but seem incapable of clearing the content of the bowl even with
repeated flushing, or have other undesirable characteristics that are
not apparent until actually installed somewhere other than a showroom.

Personally I loathe the top mounted push button cisterns currently
being sold.

So don't buy one. They're not the only ones being sold.

That they are being sold will often dictate you will end up needing to
use one installed somewhere where you were not granted the purchasing
decision.

I would prefer that all toilets had to pass a customer function test
before being allowed to be sold.

I rather suspect they all work on installation, and it's merely a
question of lack of maintenance and repair in the interim.

Can't say I was that impressed with the basic design of the B&Q bog I
installed in one place. Looked nice, flush also worked ok, but someone
had got the basic geometry of the human anus sadly wrong, ensuring that
the water trap was highly unlikely to even find itself directly beneath
it. Net result was a pan that needed brushing pretty much every time
someone dropped the lads off at the pool.

--
Cheers,

John.