Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default EDF don't make sense

On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:44:56 -0000, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 15:33:28 on Wed, 6 Nov 2013,
Gefreiter Krueger remarked:
Charge cards are particularly useful for business purchases. I can buy
things for my employer, and not have to pay for them personally. At the
end of the month they can pay for them directly.

Then you should have their debit card. I used to do that with my debit card, I simply claimed for them immediately if it was a large amount.

There's not a concept (as far as I'm aware) of a company debit card with
a "limit".

Why on earth not? All the company has to do is have a seperate current account with a small amount in it.

Or do what my last place of work did, they got a credit card with a limit they liked, and paid it off fully at the end of each month.

Companies are therefore reluctant to expose themselves to
giving employees a potentially multi-million blank cheque to carry
around. So they arrange for a debit card which has a sensible limit (eg
perhaps £5k) like a credit card would, that allows to employee to buy
things that they need in any one month, but not to completely empty the
bank account.

Amex has built an entire empire upon this concept, so don't knock it!

Nobody accepts them. They ought to curl up and die.

ps The Amex catchphrase used to be "no *preset* spending limit", so
there was a limit, but they set it after you had the card and your usage
pattern was established. A very clever bit of smoke and mirrors.

--
Scientists recently conducted a marijuana taste test.
Nobody seems to be able to remember the results.