Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Plunge Router Travel

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 11:47:39 AM UTC-8, Victor H. wrote:
At present I have a Porter Cable 2 HP router that will plunge about

2" , Would like to buy another plunge router that would plunge 21/2"

to 3". Can anybody tell me if this is even possible and if so what

make? Would like to be able to plunge this depth for deep mortises.

Thanks.

Vic

Milwaukee 2 1/4 hp 2 7/8" plunge
Porter Cable 3 1/4hp = 3" plunge
Etc.
Get a up-cut spiral bit and you are good to go. I would still do it in a few steps maybe 1/2" to 3/4" per pass depending on the material. Just make a good jig so you can good repeatable passes.

Maybe like this (one of my fav's)http://lumberjocks.com/HungryTermite/blog/13593
Or just Google "router mortise jig" and look at the "images" for a few thousand other ideas ;-)