Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Machining clear plastic and keeping it that way

Tim Wescott wrote:

If you want pretty and clear, you can't do better than cast acrylic, it
is as clear as glass, maybe even more so.

Jon

I'm considering casting, although at this point I just want onesies, not
any great quantities.

No, the stuff you buy in blocks is "cast", not meaning that YOU
do the casting, but the thing is cast to net shape. It is allowed to
set up over some time, and when done right is very clear and uniform.
You can also get extruded acrylic, it is not as clear, and has a slightly
wavy surface. It could be polished after machining, though. But,
the extruded stuff is usually tubes and rods with fairly small cross
sections.

Jon