RonB

Default New Shop: any suggestions?

Sounds like you are doing some good planning based on the questions asked.
The earlier responses provide some great input. A few thoughts:

The table saw is the heart of the shop and should probably be fairly
centralized. if you think about how it will be used, it makes sense to have
either open space or table surface in a rectangular area defined by 8 feet
in all directions from the saw (or blade). Left side surface is optional
depending on your size restrictions. Also give some thought to using the
outfeed table behind the saw for under-table, drawers, storage and assembly.

I would consider running electrical under the floor. The alternates are a
long extension cord (tripping hazard) or a power post from the ceiling.
Both are a nuisance and if you are starting from scratch, why not?

Regarding dust collection, consider under floor, but not trapped. An
earlier post made a good point regarding the problems of clogging. However,
if you ran a trench, with thin side recesses for removable floor plate, you
can always get to the duct for repair or cleaning. Depending on code, you
might also be able to use the trench for electrical.

There is a long running debate regarding metal vs PVC for dust collection.
The latest I have read says their is little actual data supporting explosion
hazards of PVC ducting. There are other articles that say PVC duct can be
saftied by running grounded copper wire through the duct (does this increase
plugging?). Who knows? PVC is certainly the easier and lower cost option.

ANY OTHER OPINIONS OR DATA ON PVC vs. METAL DUST DUCTS?

"John T. Howard" wrote in message
I am about to build a woodworking shop. Currently, I'm thinking 24' x
40' on concrete slab - no choice about the slab.

I am going to buy a Delta Unisaw, but have a few questions:

1) Other than the table to the right (52" cut) and the rear outfeed
table, do you recommend any additional surface? Maybe a table to the
left? Should the rear outfeed table be the full width of the saw AND
other tables, or just to the rear of the blade?

2) How much clearance would you like to have on all sides of the saw
beyond the tables?

3) Is it worth it to have dust collection run under the slab? What
material and what size?

4) Should I consider an alternative to running electrical under the
slab to feed the saw? If so, what is the alternative? Can the
outlets be flush to the slab surface?

I'm thinking wall-mounted metal pipe for the rest of the dust
collection - comments?

What about the Interior walls? Norm says to use wood so you can mount
anything anywhere - makes sense. What about OSB? It's cheap
(relatively), takes screws well and can be painted white. Comments?

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated. What do you
like best and least about your shop?

Thanks for your input,

John