Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Making a knife block with a circular saw?

On 2013-11-04, stuart noble wrote:

Not sure I can visualise this (a bit early in the day for me). However,
I will just say that increasing the kerf size on a circ saw by a *SMALL*
amount is possible by putting an equal number of strips of masking tape
on both sides of the blade. Gives it a slight wobble action. Might be
useful

I'm having trouble visualising that trick with the tape --- can you
clarify?

Sure. Where the nut holds the blade on there is a big washer. Let's say
under one edge of that you put 6 layers of tape, and then opposite that
but on the *other* side of the blade (i.e. the one that faces the motor)
you also put 6 layers. This will make the blade wobble as it rotates, so
the kerf will be slightly wider. You can increase this gradually to a
very fine degree. It's vital the two lots of tape are identical in
thickness and exactly opposite each other.
A couple of caveats. You need two hands on the saw, so secure the wood
to the bench. Don't overdo the kerf increase or the saw will become
unstable and dangerous. The technique is for *very fine* adjustments.
In the old days you could buy a "wobble washer" set. If you can find any
reference to it, it will illustrate the principle