Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Average cost of transfer switch and power inlet

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 10:55:09 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
A friend of mine asked me what's it cost. Has a

two story frame house. Circuit panel in the cellar,

panel is only a few years old. Wants a transfer

switch, and power inlet.

What's available? Are they dificult to install?

What kind of prices?

Only three parts that could be more involved. One is running the wire
from the panel to the intlet, assuming he wants the intlet outside,
which is where I'd want it, unless it was a real bitch to do.
The other would be if there isn't a empty spot for an additional
double pole breaker. In that case you could possibly replace
some full size breakers with half-size, if they are available,
which I would think they would be for a new panel. Third part
is you probably have to splice some of the existing circuits
to free up the required slot at the top for the new breaker

Other than that, it's installing a slide lockout on the panel,
putting in the appropriate size breaker, mounting the inlet and
running the wire.

With the slide, first I'd look to see if one is available from
the manufacturer. That for sure is listed and will pass inspection.
There are aftermarket ones from Interlockkit that fit many panels.
I've seen folks say that inspectors passed them and didn't have
an issue, but some inspectors might.

Last time I looked at this, you were looking at around:

$150 for the slide lockout
$50 for the inlet
$20 breaker
+ wire