Phisherman

Default New Shop: any suggestions?

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:54:05 GMT, John T. Howard
wrote:

I am about to build a woodworking shop. Currently, I'm thinking 24' x
40' on concrete slab - no choice about the slab.

I am going to buy a Delta Unisaw, but have a few questions:

1) Other than the table to the right (52" cut) and the rear outfeed
table, do you recommend any additional surface? Maybe a table to the
left? Should the rear outfeed table be the full width of the saw AND
other tables, or just to the rear of the blade?

Depends on your needs and what you typically plan to build. I don't
have a need for additional surface to the left of my table saw; in
fact, it may be in the way. I don't have an outfeed table (yet) but I
set up a couple rollers that work fine when I need to rip a 4x8 sheet
of ply. Nothing beats having a "human helper" occasionally.

2) How much clearance would you like to have on all sides of the saw
beyond the tables?

At least four feet to the left, 6 feet to the right, and 9 feet in
front and behind the blade. On one occasion, I had to turn my PM66 90
degrees to cut dentils in long moldings.

3) Is it worth it to have dust collection run under the slab? What
material and what size?

Yes! Four inch diameter PVC should work.

4) Should I consider an alternative to running electrical under the
slab to feed the saw? If so, what is the alternative? Can the
outlets be flush to the slab surface?

Yes. Install a conduit from the wall to the saw location. Not
certain about your local electrical codes, but I don't see a problem
with outlets flush with the surface (I see them in the mall floor
scattered around--they have brass flip covers.)

I'm thinking wall-mounted metal pipe for the rest of the dust
collection - comments?

That should work.

What about the Interior walls? Norm says to use wood so you can mount
anything anywhere - makes sense. What about OSB? It's cheap
(relatively), takes screws well and can be painted white. Comments?

I have wallboard (painted white) and installed 6" base board to help
protect the walls. Before I installed the wallboard, I went all
around the shop and painted a 2" silver thin line on the floor 90
degrees from the center of each stud--that paid off later when I
mounted cabinets, supports, etc. I found my walls clean up easily.

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated. What do you
like best and least about your shop?

I'm fortunate that I have natural light which makes sharpening easier
and the shop is brighter. I wish I had more space to store wood!

Thanks for your input,

John