Rich

Default New Shop: any suggestions?

John,
Grats on the dream shop! I have a dream shop but its only 20x20, hehe.

Some opinions on your questions.

1) Other than the table to the right (52" cut) and the rear outfeed
table, do you recommend any additional surface? Maybe a table to the
left? Should the rear outfeed table be the full width of the saw AND
other tables, or just to the rear of the blade?

Table to left for large cross cuts is very handy but if you have space you
might be able to build a large work table that the saw and table fits into
so you have continuous table on the left and back of saw. Handy for laying
wood pieces etc that you are cutting or working on.

2) How much clearance would you like to have on all sides of the saw
beyond the tables?

My saw/table is an island unto itself. This way I can walk around it and my
tools are in a circle around the saw up against the walls. You want
clearance to feed lumber and ply into it. I have my feed side of my saw
facing garage door so the occasional long piece I just open the door.

3) Is it worth it to have dust collection run under the slab? What
material and what size?

Definitely! I see alot of contractors pour the floor then rent a concrete
saw to cut a channel then patch it. Dont know if this is the best way but I
would run your dust collection and power for TS under the floor. I plan on
doing this some day in my garage so I dont have to step over the pipe and
cable. Right now I do like Norm does. If you use like 4 or 6" pvc pipe with
for all under floor applications I dont think you will ever have a problem
as it is very smooth. I've never had a clog on my black plastic dust
collection sys. Maybe 6" is better to keep any clogs from happening under
the floor. Even if you did have one I'm sure you could unclog it or call a
plumber and he'll do it for about $100 an hour, lol.

I'm thinking wall-mounted metal pipe for the rest of the dust
collection - comments?

Supposed to be the best for grounding and 6" is recomended by alot of
people. I have 4" white pvc on the ground with the black plastic flex tubes
up the walls. I have my DC outside of garage in a little lean too building
next to my garage wall. Gives me more room and less noise and dust in the
shop. Just set it up that way and works well. With a nice building like
yours you can put several doors or roll ups to get a nice cross flow. I have
only the garage door and one door to the laundry so not much in crossflow.

What about the Interior walls? Norm says to use wood so you can mount
anything anywhere - makes sense. What about OSB? It's cheap
(relatively), takes screws well and can be painted white. Comments?

I have bright white block walls but would rather have wood walls with a
natural finish. I don't know if its the rustic feel or just seems more
"woodshop" like.

Dont forget to design/ build a nice cabinet system. Like a whole wall of
them with a desk too. Uppers and lowers to keep everything organized. Also a
miter saw station, clamp storage rack, lumber rack, plywood rack, rolling
cart, assembly table, sink, bathroom, and tools!!!

Sincerely,
Rich