Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default 220 Volt Plugs (not to code!!!!)

wrote in message

burning down a house. I lived in a house that had the aluminum wiring and
did tighten the wires at the fuse box several times. A house down the
street that was built at the same time (aound 1965) did burn down and the
cause was stated to be wiring in and around the fuse box.

Been in my 40 year old house 32 years now - all aluminum wiring - and
never a connection problem. Had a couple non-co/alr outlets overheat -
but not at the wiring connection. Just cheap-ass low-buck outlets that
got a lot of use.

YOu never know about the wiring problems. In the area I lived in there were
14 houses built arund the same time in 1965 and very similar to each other.
Two of them caught on fire. One several years before we moved in and one
about 10 years after we moved in.