Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220 Volt Plugs (not to code!!!!)

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:46:46 -0700, Tony Hwang

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:06:10 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I opened the range socket, (power off). I loosened the
clamps that held the aluminum range wire, and loosed
the romex connector. Slipped the 14-2WG in through the
romex connector. Stripped the ends, put them in with
the aluminum wire. Ran the 14 to a box, which I screwed
to the baseboard. Or, more likely left the box loose on
the floor. This was 20 plus years ago, the details are
a bit faded in my memory. Plug the wall AC into the
outlet box. Put the cover back on the range socket,
plug the range back in.

I'm an outlaw. And a couple folks appreciated having AC
that killer hot summer. And you can't prove a thing.

Probably several code violations. The 14 wire on the 50A breaker for one.
Slipping and mixing the copper and aluminum wire is probably another one.
When dealing with the aluminum wire it is difficult enough to keep from
burning down a house. I lived in a house that had the aluminum wiring and I
did tighten the wires at the fuse box several times. A house down the
street that was built at the same time (aound 1965) did burn down and the
cause was stated to be wiring in and around the fuse box.

Copper and aluminum isn't a problem as long as listed CU-AL
connections are used between. Aluminum caused all sorts of grief but
it was eventually sorted out. Some of the problems were labor quality
(AL is less forgiving) and others were metallurgy. AL us still widely
used for large appliances (clothes dryers and ranges) with very few
issues.

Hmmm,
My previous house built in the mid-70s during Cu hortage had all Al
wiring, never had any trouble and still the house is there(did not burn
down, LOL!) What?! is there any one whose knowledge is based on Google?
How did (s)he lived B4 the days of I'net? IMO, intelligence does not
come from Google.

Ant there is aluminum wiring, and there is aluminum wiring. The
early aluminum was hard and fragile. The later stuff is softer and
more ductile - and a lot tougher.

As for the connections - CU-AL USED to be the accepted standard. CU-AL
devices are no longer accepted. The new standard for aluminum wiring
devices is coalr or co-alr