Thomas Bunetta

Default New Shop: any suggestions?

"John T. Howard" wrote in message
I am about to build a woodworking shop. Currently, I'm thinking 24' x
40' on concrete slab - no choice about the slab.

snipped Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated. What do
you
like best and least about your shop?

Thanks for your input,

John

Consider having a trough cast into the slab for dust collection... with a
ledge so 3/4" exterior or marine grade plywood strips can be placed into
them as covers as well as keeping things from falling in.
They should be large enough to accept a 6" duct... any clogs and the duct is
accessible .
I shaped mine like a "T" with a 45 degree offset at the junction (as opposed
to 90 degrees like a regular "T".)
Combined with a cyclone separator and blast gates at floor level under the
saw, the system works quite well.
As to the outfeed table, I use a full size sheet of 3/4" plywood on a
shopmade frame topped with white surfaced MDF. I scribble on it, use it as
an assembly area, and have a bunch of lumber stowed beneath it (can also be
used for sleds ala Keith's comments.
Tom