Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Making a knife block with a circular saw?

On 03/11/2013 23:39, wrote:
On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:15:31 PM UTC, Adam Funk wrote:

Years ago we got a knife set with a nice wooden block at a
convenient angle. The slots in the block no longer suit some of
the extra & replacement knives & scissors, & I haven't been able to
find a similar but more versatile replacement. It seems to me that
making an angled knife block could be a simple matter. Design an
adequate length to make the angle for the last step; a long enough
block of wood & make some suitably deep & wide slots with a
circular saw; take another block & make more (for the smaller
knives); add another layer; glue the lot together; chop the end off
at an angle & glue it onto the rest to form the support. Obviously
this would be easier with a table saw, but I don't have one (&
don't have anywhere to keep one, otherwise this would be an excuse
to buy a nifty tool). Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Or you could use thin strips instead of cutting slots.

Or if you want more character, take a bit of 5-6" branch, cut it
across into 8 wedges, saw a slot in each & reglue.

NT

Not sure I can visualise this (a bit early in the day for me). However,
I will just say that increasing the kerf size on a circ saw by a *SMALL*
amount is possible by putting an equal number of strips of masking tape
on both sides of the blade. Gives it a slight wobble action. Might be
useful