Fred the Red Shirt

Default Jointer planes

dave in fairfax wrote in message ...
Interspersed comments for ease and clarity, I apologize for not
bottom posting.

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
Respecfully, I think you miswrote here.
Jointing is done to the side (edge to clear) of a board, or
to the edges of two boards clamped together which are to be
edge-joined to make a panel.

I guess I missed something, I thought that I'd said that the
jointing was done to the sides of the board. As I've said in the
past, I'm a turner trying to learn flatwork, so maybe I got the
terms mixed up.

No, no mix up. I just thought 'edge' was clearer than 'side'.

A flat rectangular board has 6 sides, two are faces, two are edges,
two are ends. If you just say 'side' it is clear to me that you
mean the edge, but that might not be clear to others, especially
some of the feriners who read rec.nahrm, though most of them probably
read and write English better than I do.

... It's
also why I said that the two boards jointed at the same time would
mate up because the angles wouyld be complimentary. It's also why
I said #5 or greater.

Here's nit, please don't be annoyed, but complimentary angles sum
to 90 degrees, supplimentary angles sum to 180 degrees. You actually
want supplimentary bevel angles when edge jointing boards.

I mentioned using a long straight-edge to check the straightness
of the upper piece of plywood. I wasn't suggesting using it as
the reference surface for the plane, and certainly not for use
with a #4.

I misunderstood.

I admit to never having used a shooting board, but have seen them
used and typically a shooting board is used to clean up a saw cut
and trim to exactly the correct angle a crosscut of some ilk,
such as a miter cut. Thus a shooting board typically is used to
guide the plane while trimming the endgrain of the board.

I saw shooting boards used to square ends as well as trim angles.

Me too.

I don't see how a shooting board could be used to edge joint
a board, though I have heard jointing referred to as 'shooting
the edge' of the board, by Roy Underhill.

But now I do see is illustrated at a page on the website you
mentioned:

http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...ubjointing.htm

Live and learn.

If you take a look at the sketch I made, the board gets clamped to
the upper board just barely hanging over its edge, and the plane
is put on it's side on the lower board.

Where do we find the sketch?

Jeff Gorman's website,
http://www.amgron.clara.net/planingp...otingindex.htm
but it's possible that I misunderstood what he was saying. It
works, which is what I was looking for.

It looks to me like you got it right, and now I've been educated too.

It's possible that I've misused the shooting board by using it for
edges on boards, but since I don't have a jointer, it'll have to
do. %-)

Ah, but if you get a jointe, you'll love using it. A #7 or #8 is
an impressive tool and when you're not truing boards you can whop
pit bulls on the head with it.

--

FF