Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default A2 or O1 Steel Annealed Properties?

wrote in
:

I've made a bunch of firing pins using O1, usually drill rod is
closest in size, can be had metric, fractional, letter and number
sizes. For flat pins, I've used ground flat stock in O1. Torch
hardened on a plate with anti-scale, quenched in oil, tempered in a
toaster oven. If you have to have grooves of some sort, make sure
you've radiused the corners, you'll have outstanding stress risers
otherwise and will be soon making another. I generally polish
everything on a firing pin before hardening. Nicks and notches lead
to trouble.

Just as a point of information, did the old pin fail at the groove?

Nope, it just vanished somewhere in transit. The National's are held at
Fort Benning, and when they unpacked the pistols, the pin was gone. One
thing I need to check is whether the detent spring that is supposed to
retain it is still operational.

Doug White