Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a knife block with a circular saw?

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:15:31 PM UTC, Adam Funk wrote:

Years ago we got a knife set with a nice wooden block at a convenient
angle. The slots in the block no longer suit some of the extra &
replacement knives & scissors, & I haven't been able to find a similar
but more versatile replacement.
It seems to me that making an angled knife block could be a simple
matter. Design an adequate length to make the angle for the last
step; a long enough block of wood & make some suitably deep & wide
slots with a circular saw; take another block & make more (for the
smaller knives); add another layer; glue the lot together; chop the
end off at an angle & glue it onto the rest to form the support.
Obviously this would be easier with a table saw, but I don't have one
(& don't have anywhere to keep one, otherwise this would be an excuse
to buy a nifty tool). Am I missing anything?
Thanks.

Or you could use thin strips instead of cutting slots.

Or if you want more character, take a bit of 5-6" branch, cut it across into 8 wedges, saw a slot in each & reglue.

NT