John T. Howard

Default New Shop: any suggestions?

I am about to build a woodworking shop. Currently, I'm thinking 24' x
40' on concrete slab - no choice about the slab.

I am going to buy a Delta Unisaw, but have a few questions:

1) Other than the table to the right (52" cut) and the rear outfeed
table, do you recommend any additional surface? Maybe a table to the
left? Should the rear outfeed table be the full width of the saw AND
other tables, or just to the rear of the blade?

2) How much clearance would you like to have on all sides of the saw
beyond the tables?

3) Is it worth it to have dust collection run under the slab? What
material and what size?

4) Should I consider an alternative to running electrical under the
slab to feed the saw? If so, what is the alternative? Can the
outlets be flush to the slab surface?

I'm thinking wall-mounted metal pipe for the rest of the dust
collection - comments?

What about the Interior walls? Norm says to use wood so you can mount
anything anywhere - makes sense. What about OSB? It's cheap
(relatively), takes screws well and can be painted white. Comments?

Any other comments or suggestions will be appreciated. What do you
like best and least about your shop?

Thanks for your input,

John