Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default EDF don't make sense

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:53:37 -0000, Clive George wrote:

On 02/11/2013 11:23, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 11:09:14 on Sat, 2 Nov 2013,
Gefreiter Krueger remarked:

I've no idea what that is.

You seem to be remarkably ill-informed, and unable to use Google.

I can't be arsed. A debit card does me fine. Why complicate matters?

Because a charge card is a useful buffer/delay between the transaction
and the ability to empty my bank account. Not only does it permit me to
gather the funds required, it also allows me to complain if there's an
error or fraud, *before* it's me who is out of pocket.

Isn't it like a credit card but for one particular shop?

In my case it's like a classic Amex, paid off each month, although it's
from Mastercard.

Sound like a credit card to me.

No, a credit card does not require you to pay off the whole balance
every month. They aren't advancing me credit, more a case of delaying
when I have to pay, by up to a month. Traditionally they delay when the
trader gets the money as well - hence the reluctance of many of them to
accept Amex.

Amex charge more AFAIK.

I use a credit card in the same way you use a charge card - DD set up to
pay the lot off monthly. What extra does the charge card give you?

(the PP said he's set his up to the minimum payment to avoid scares.
That's the opposite of what I want, because if you do that and forget to
pay it off, you start paying interest)

Forget to? I almost never can afford to pay it off.

--
If you believe in telepathy, raise my hand.