Posted to uk.d-i-y
Apellation Controlee Apellation Controlee is offline

Default OT Speed awareness courses

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 15:04:14 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 02/11/2013 09:25, ARW wrote:
It looks like I will now get my wish to see what they are like:-)

The postie has just dropped off my NIP for doing 37 in a 30 zone. I knew on
Thursday that I had been caught.

Went on one a couple of weeks ago. 23 of us hardened criminals, mostly
middle aged, fair few OAP's.

First thing is - unless you toe the line & nod in all the right places -
you fail the course. Second thing, they won't discuss the rights &
wrongs of cameras or limits - it's a taboo subject. Think of 1984.

You get tea & biscuits, 2 fag breaks, a free pen & copy of the highway
code - and patronised for 4 hours.

Basically a load of old ********.

I should think I can match you for cynicism but, in the interests of
balance, this wasn't my experience last year in Preston.
It was a relaxed, good-humoured session and we were encouraged to
discuss the issues. In return we got explanations of why roads are
marked the way they are (e.g. why some bends have conspicuous markings
and some don't), speed limit policies, camera positioning, & so on,
and the bottom line that, whatever we think of it, it's the law so we
have to live with it.
I don't think it's altered how I drive but it was a pleasant enough
half-day and there wasn't a suggestion of censure in the attitude of
the presenters..