Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike[_7_] mike[_7_] is offline

Default How to clean out an expanding foam gun?

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:46:12 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On Saturday 02 November 2013 12:08 mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:38:59 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Did you leave the cleaner in for an hour, then blast through, then leave

more cleaner for another hour and repeat 3-4 times? It needs to soak....

No, I followed the procedure in this Youtube video. It was all over in a

minute and a half. He sounded so convincing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZ478GtilQ

The "hour" is an overstatement for normal cleaning, but when the gun is

showing problems, it is worth a try...

OK, thanks. I thought the gun would be a step up from straws but

soaking/disassembling/thread seal sounds like exchanging one lot of

problems for another.

IIRC it was only a couple of threads had sealant on them. I happened to have

some Loctite (or similar) pipe thread sealant. It too an hour or so to

strip, clean and reassemble.

And a couple more hours to let the sealant harden.

Mind you I never did get the little green ball to seal properly when the can

came off, but the gun worked.

Thanks for the reply.

Google archives came to the rescue with a post from John Rumm suggesting poking the inlet ball bearing with a small screwdriver. It looked clean but a prod revealed that it had stuck with a tiny piece of foam adhering to it. Once that fell out, I ran some more cleaner through it with no problem.

Not sure how the seal is - hopefully OK but I guess they're easy to scratch/damage when coerced with a metal tool.

Anyway, I wish I'd know this the other day when it wasn't working and I had to resort to the 2-inch plastic nozzle that came with the cleaning solvent while it was blowing a gale and siling it down.