Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clean out an expanding foam gun?

On Saturday 02 November 2013 12:08 mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 11:38:59 AM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:

Did you leave the cleaner in for an hour, then blast through, then leave

more cleaner for another hour and repeat 3-4 times? It needs to soak...

No, I followed the procedure in this Youtube video. It was all over in a
minute and a half. He sounded so convincing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZ478GtilQ

The "hour" is an overstatement for normal cleaning, but when the gun is
showing problems, it is worth a try...

OK, thanks. I thought the gun would be a step up from straws but
soaking/disassembling/thread seal sounds like exchanging one lot of
problems for another.

IIRC it was only a couple of threads had sealant on them. I happened to have
some Loctite (or similar) pipe thread sealant. It too an hour or so to
strip, clean and reassemble.

And a couple more hours to let the sealant harden.

Mind you I never did get the little green ball to seal properly when the can
came off, but the gun worked.