Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_2_] Danny D.[_2_] is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring broken ... and ... I have no

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 00:38:17 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

This is what I found in the garage:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7329/1...e2064872_o.gif
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3682/1...ccf1e6c8_o.gif

UPDATE:

The deed is done.
1. I replaced the old 24 inch 112# lift springs with 35 112# lift springs.
2. The duty cycle rose from 12K cycles (7 years) to 41K cycles (28 years).
3. I replaced the old plastic center bearing with a heavy duty bearing.
4. I replaced the old metal end plate bearings with heavy duty bearings.

The only problem I had was that I made a noob mistake when I took all the
bearings out to snap this picture for you guys:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5522/1...bce8c588_h.jpg

When I put those bearings back, I put them in BACKWARD! (auuuurgggh!)
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3732/1...33ea9a7d_b.jpg

I didn't realize this, until I noticed the door opening kind'a funny
(as the bearings were pushed OUT of their seating location!).
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7443/1...7f8c2437_b.jpg

Anyway, it's all good now (I'll write to Dan Musick and ask him to
beef up the tutorials, since they don't actually say which direction
the bearings are supposed to go). That way, the NEXT person following
in our footsteps doesn't make that idiotic mistake (slaps head!):
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/1...cd689400_b.jpg

BTW, Since the new spring is 10 inches longer than the old spring,
I did get to see how deeply my indents went, as shown below:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/1...5b1c1ac1_b.jpg

Notice the quarter inch markings, which is described in Dan's
videos at his DDM Garage Doors website.

Also notice the spackle on the torsion rod.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5517/1...93bec751_b.jpg

Given that, I think the springs I replaced were the originals.