Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Exterior door trim

On 11/1/2013 8:49 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

And third, should I decide to take this on, should I use pressure
treated lumber, or something else? If PT, will I endanger my health
routing it?

The fluting is the hardest part, and that's not hard to do at all with a
plunge base router ... do one and it will be a guaranteed forehead smack
as to how easy it is.

You can actually buy jig to do the fluting:

http://www.rockler.com/router-fluting-jig?Max=999

.... or you can also make a jig based on the same principle; or the old
fashioned way, set up a fence on one edge of a piece of plywood and use
spacers to provide the distance between the flutes.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with PT material, you will have trouble
with the painting until it dries sufficiently. Use a wood like white oak
which, once primed and painted, will last longer than you when properly
maintained.

While it is certainly possible, if you want to go composite/plastic, the
material is going to be expensive, for the thickness you need, probably
in excess of $10/lf:

http://epsplasticlumber.com/files/Se...bruary2012.pdf

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com