Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Adrian
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 17:09:02 +0000, harryagain wrote:

I seem to recall that they keep having a repeat reforendum until
they
get the answer they want.
(Ireland and Holland)

With "they" being the governments of Ireland and the Netherlands,
not some mythical eurocrats.

Well, you say that, but what was the reaction of EU bigwigs when the
Irish said no? "Oh, we can't have a little country derailing the grand
plan" Why d'ye think there are unlikely to be more treaties? Because
they know there will be *big* opposition to any more integration, from
like, y'know, the *people* (you may have heard of them, they live in
little huts, wear smocks, and have straw in their hair).

Thass why the last treaty contained an enabling clause, so these same
bigwigs can declare the next step enabled BY ORDER, with none of this
pesky consultation nonsense required. Clever, eh?

And of course some countries never got to vote at all. Every country
should have held their referendum on the same day.
--
bert