Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

On 31/10/2013 08:32, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 07:09:14 +0000, Roger Chapman wrote:

The subtle problem with that is that the fundamental concept of the EU
is freedom of movement for both goods and people. And, yes, it was the
exact same situation back in 1975's EEC. You cannot have a "common
market", a single economic community, WITHOUT that. It makes a mockery
of the whole concept.

But what we should have (but don't) is the ability to restrict benefits
for foreigners to that which a Brit would get in the same situation in
the foreigner's country of origin.

That's exactly what happens.

No it isn't. The foreigner in the UK is likely to get much better
benefits from the state than the Brit in a foreign land.

It's a very simple concept.

Somebody in country X gets treated exactly the same, whether they're a
"local" or originally from another EU country.

So, yes, a Brit in country X DOES get treated exactly the same as a
local.

I don't think that is actually true but since I have never been in the
situation where I have needed state aid from a foreign power I won't
argue the point.

--
Roger Chapman