Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring broken ... and ... I have no

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:32:45 -0700, Oren wrote:

Are the colors on the spring (blue) the same as on the old spring?
Yes. it matters.

Hi Oren,
Given color is meaningless, what you were probably getting at is that almost
everyone replaces the old spring with the same size wire gauge spring.

My problem was that the old spring had something like a 10,000 duty cycle
rating. I wanted to replace it with a spring with something like a 40,000
cycle rating.

If I open the door 4 times a day for 365 days a year, the 10,000 cycle
spring would last only about 7 years, while the 40,000 cycle spring
would last about 27 years (within round-off errors).

These are the dimensions of the old springs:
2"ID, 0.225" wire gauge, 24-1/4" long, P/N SPB-225-24-25L/R

These are the dimensions of the new springs:
2"ID, 0.243" wire gauge, 35-1/4" long, P/N SPB-243-35-25L/R

All that matters for duty cycle is the thickness. You'll note that
the old springs were 0.225" thick, while the new springs are 0.243"
thick. This gives me the additional duty cycle rating.

Of course, the new springs are therefore about a foot longer and a
few pounds heavier than the old springs were, and they cost about
15% more; but, the benefit is that I get four times the use out of
something that is exactly the same effort to install.

BTW, the spring calculators on Dan Musick's DDM Garage Doors web
site makes all these calculations a breeze.
http://ddmgaragedoors.com/springs/ga...or-springs.php

PS: I wouldn't recommend anyone *other* than Dan if you need to
replace your springs. He's a great guy. He's helpful. He'll talk to
you on the phone. He'll fix his videos if you see a problem with
them. And, he will even cut you a break when you need it (he gave
me free stuff, for example, when I ran into bearing problems).