Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Garage door torsion spring broken ... and ... I have no questions! :)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:41:43 -0400, micky
wrote:

I sold a sorted pick-up load of copper, aluminum, and steel scrap to a

by pick-up, I meant pick-up truck, that carried up to a ton probably,
though the loosely piled metal weighed far far less than that.

junk yard a couple years ago, but I don't remember how much they paid
for any of them.

The copper was the most expensive and I'm vaguely recalling that we
got $40 for that. The steel was the most plentiful, and maybe we
got $50 for that. There was not a lot of aluminum, but maybe we got
$15 for it, a tolal of 105. I think the total was more like 140.

This was from a small building that was being torn down. The copper
was mostly from the radiant heating pipes, in baseboards along the
social hall. Maybe 100 feet of it. And electric wires, still with
insulation. The rest was miscellaneous.

At the combination junkyard/scrapyard, where I had also gone to buy
parts for my car, they removed the copper and weighed that. Maybe
they had a factor to account for the aluminum fins that were still on.
Same with the aluminum. Then they weighed the truck, removed the
steel, and weighed the truck again.

http://trustwaymetal.com/category/scrap-metal/ how to recycle
refrigerators, water heaters, stuff found on the side of the road.
Peeking at these pages, none of them look like a very good idea for
someone who has a real job.