Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default EU to flush your money down your toilet?

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 16:33:57 +0000, Andy Cap
wrote:

On 10/29/2013 04:23 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

We elect
them to run the country under the existing set up.

You may like to think that we do or ought, but your own complaint
proves that actually we do not. Perhaps that should be changed for
the future, but it's no good complaining about the past.

Couldn't agree more, though I'd prefer out.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I find it hard to believe that
leaving the EU would improve anything much in our daily lives, and may
well make things worse ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

"With a combined population of over 500 million inhabitants,[22] or
7.3% of the world population,[23] the EU in 2012 generated a nominal
gross domestic product (GDP) of 16.584 trillion US dollars,
constituting approximately 23% of global nominal GDP and 20% when
measured in terms of purchasing power parity, which is the largest
nominal GDP and GDP PPP in the world."

.... why the desire to leave when we are ahead?

I think referenda should be
used far more in parliament too, because claiming something was in a
manifesto is a joke. Firstly it highly unlikely you agree with
everything across the board and so voting becomes negative activity,
looking for the one you think will do least damage and secondly, there
is no obligation on doing what they say they will.

Can't disagree with that.

One example was the
change to fix term parliaments. A major change and yet done on on a
whim by a couple of guys.

That was a very good change indeed, and long overdue. It stops the
Margaret Thatchers of this world allowing the country to be embroiled
in a war, winning it, and then seeking re-election on the resulting
tide of popularity. That and the independence since of the BoE also
make it more difficult for them to manipulate the economy to win a
forthcoming election, because the timing of any resulting benefit can
never be certain, and it avoids the unnecessary expense of running
elections more often at the incumbent PM's whim, because the world
economy happens to be being kind to the UK at a particular point in
time.