Larry Blanchard

Default Jointer planes

In article ,
says...
If you look again, you'll see that I said to use some birch ply,
that gives you at least a 5' length. A couple posts back, on this
subject, I said that I live in a townhouse and don't have room for
things like a jointer, but that a shooting board takes up no space
stacked against a wall. If you have a short board then a longer
plane will be useful, but if you a decent length board most any
plane will work adequately. Once it's started the plane will only
tkae the board down as farr as the shooting board has been
recessed.

Sorry, I missed that.

But since I've never used a shooting board, I have a question.
You take your plywood and clamp it to the board to be edged,
back just far enough to take off all the irregularities.

Now you start planing. Your last sentence is what I question.
Since most planes have a blade that goes very near the edge, how
do you keep it from cutting into the plywood? I could see it if
the part that rode on the plywood had no blade in it, but I
don't see how that could be the case.

BTW, I use my jointer plane mostly for edge joining two boards
and for that I just clamp them together.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?