dave in fairfax

Default Jointer planes

wrote:
not so fast there...
the chinese have been doing woodworking prolly longer than anybody
else. their traditional wood body pull planes are right up there for
quality and usability. chinese made-for-export-copy-of-stanley are
what you'd expect, though...

the last time I had one in my hands was a few years ago, so they may
have improved. then, what I saw was warped, poorly finished castings,
parts that only sorta approximated fitting together, chrome plate
peeling off, too thin cutters.... real crap.

You're right about the Chinese woodies, I'd assumed that we were
talking metal bodies since the OP asked about Anants. You're
right though, the chines and japanese woodies are a lot of fun and
once you get used to them are very easy to use. Your impressions
of the Anants was what I remembered as well as a chip breaker made
of tinfoil. Fair paper weights.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader