Posted to alt.home.repair
James[_36_] James[_36_] is offline

Default Help me identify this type of insulation

replying to lawrenceww, James wrote:
lawrenceww wrote:

So do you, or anyone else, know what this stuff is made of? I tried
asking all kinds of people what it is and about 95% of them didn't
know what I was talking about. Those who did only saw it once, maybe
twice, and didn't know what exactly it is made of either. I'm pretty
confident it is the form the concrete was poured into and also doubles
as insulation. I know it isn't asphalt board as mentioned earlier, and
it definately isn't foam used in newer ICFs.

I beleive what you have is called FOAMGLAS. We have it at the chemical
plant that I work at as insulation on our pipes. I just spent the day
ripping it off one pipe. It definitely smells like rotten eggs. This is
due to the hydrgoen sulfide gas that is contained in the cells. The
company that makes it provides a safety data sheet that will inform you of
any hazards. It can be found online at the following address.
http://www.industry.foamglas.com/en/...sds/us_origin/

Click on the 'FOAMGLAS Insulation (all grades)' link and that will tell
you all you want to know.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ion-22104-.htm