dave in fairfax

Default Jointer planes

Larry Blanchard wrote:
A shooting board? For the edge of a 6' board? For the end, or
for a short edge, yes. But for a long edge, unless you have the
worlds largest shooting board, the reasons you gave for using a
jointer on the face of the board also apply to the edge.

And to the OP, I like a #8 because of the greater mass. Once
you get it going, it seems to bog down less than the lighter
planes. But it's all subjective - as Charlie said, people will
be people.

If you look again, you'll see that I said to use some birch ply,
that gives you at least a 5' length. A couple posts back, on this
subject, I said that I live in a townhouse and don't have room for
things like a jointer, but that a shooting board takes up no space
stacked against a wall. If you have a short board then a longer
plane will be useful, but if you a decent length board most any
plane will work adequately. Once it's started the plane will only
tkae the board down as farr as the shooting board has been
recessed. You'll need to advance the edge of the board you're
working on if more needs to be taken off.

I prefer a #7 or #8 as well, but I don't know That the OP is
willing to push that much iron.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader