Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why you should buy "Sioux tools" airtools

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 13:19:00 -0500, Ignoramus12605
wrote:

I forgot if I shared this story from three years ago. It still is very
fresh in my memory.

Three years ago, I sold a completely unremarkable, used and beat up,
but working, "Sioux tools" air grinder on ebay. The buyer's email
address indicated that he is with Sioux tools. After he left me a
positive, I asked him, how come he bought this really old tool, when
they make new ones?

His answer floored me. He said that they occasionally buy old tools on
purpose, to evaluate how they wear, what parts and bits in them need
improvements to last longer for their future versions, etc.

This is so unusual.

The usual attitude, nowadays, is that if the tool lasts beyond the
three month warranty period, everything is great. Apparently, Sioux
tools does not think so and wants their toold to last forever.

Sioux Tool is one of the old line American tool companies that
actually cared about turning out a quality product that would last a
generation. I have several, including a bench grinder, that I never
think about..but simply use.

Unfortunately...they are a rareity these days...most of their
competition having offshored long ago.

I work on 50 yr old American, and German (and to a smaller number.)
English machinery that are still cranking out quality parts. The Japs
make good quality machines as well..but dont have the long long term
manufacturing years in the US as the above 3 do.

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---