Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Furnace fan doesn't run long

On 10/29/2013 8:53 AM, cln wrote:
My 18 year old house has a combination Wood and Electric pushed air furnace.

I'll start a fire and eventually the fan

starts... typical and expected.

I question what follows. The fan will run for

1 to 2 minutes. In the beginning the ducts barely
have time to warm up so the air isn't hot when it
comes out.
After a few minutes, the fire is roaring and

produces plenty of heat. I even added a tiny 4"
fan on the flue pipe to propagate the heat in my shop.

So if this 4" fan is enough to make a small

difference in my shop, why isn't the furnace
running longer at times?

I had the furnace inspected last winter/spring

time. A fuse had popped. He checked it over and
said there was nothing wrong with it.

Is there something I can do? I asked if the fan

could be upgraded to a two speed fan. I figured
that it could run on a lower temperature.

Any advice appreciated.

My last DIY thought was to attach 2x 4" fans on

the duct outlet in my shop and having it on a 4-6
hour timer. Fans were free and both would cover a
loor vent type duct elbow nicely... this way less
of the heat would be wasted up the flue

Sounds like you need a fan limit switch. Temp activated, blows when
there is heat. I'd make some phone calls, and see if you can find a
different repair tech.

--
..
Christopher A. Young