Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default reviving a Lion?

On 28/10/13 18:54, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 17:44:01 +0100, Toiler
wrote:

I accidentally ran a li-ion battery completely flat and now it won't
charge. Is there any way to revive it?

Very carefully, using a single-cell charger and do one at a time, and
never leave it in the house unattended. Depending on the exact type of
cell, there are different voltages to be attained.
In general, it's probably toast and I never attempt to recharge one
that's dropped below 2.5V or so (indeed, the last lot of ex-laptop
batteries I stripped for cells, any under 2.8V were binned).

ve never ever successfully recovered a single cell. Gave up trying.

It is doable sometimes but not worth the risk since you have to
dismantle and defeat the battery failed self immolation protection.
Li-ion cells are very unforgiving as Boeing and Sony will testify.

The battery packs are designed to fail safe wrt overheating and other
forms of abuse. Once bricked they are not reliable or safe.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown