Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Railway track (OT)

In article ,
newshound scribeth thus
On 28/10/2013 11:55, -- DerbyBorn wrote:
I was idly looking at the track as a steam loco went over a joint and
wondered why the joints in the track are not supported in some way by a
sleeper (and chair) arrangement. The cantilevered unsupported ends place an
incredible load on the strips of metal and bolts.
I realise the problem has gone away now - but has anyone any observations?

Not quite as much load as you might think. Remember that the loco weight
is distributed over several pairs of wheels so that once the joint
"flexes" the load is redistributed over the other wheels. Different for
carriages where there is suspension on the bogies.

They can't be supported normally as they have things called Fishplates
lumps of flat metal quite thick and are what holds the lengths of rail
together..

Course thats on olde world sections of line, most all the time elsewhere
its long lumps of rail that get welded together...
--
Tony Sayer