Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Should I worry?

KenK wrote:
I live in a rural area in the far SW corner of AZ. In the past, with
rare long-ago exceptions, the coldest it gets is 28 or so, possibly
25 F. And that during maybe a week or so only early in the morning
until the sun comes up.

Of course, being me, I worry about burst pipes every time it gets
below 32. Actually, how cold for how long does it have to get before
pipes can get damaged? Yes, I know about leaving the water drip but
that doesn't always seem to work - I've still had them blocked by ice
early in the morning. Then too, there's the well pump, water tank and
associated plumbing,

Winter is getting close. It's down to the low 90s during the day.g
Worth getting exposed pipes insulated? I suspect that would be
expensive. At my age - 79 - I can't do too many things myself anymore.

Needlessly worrying?

TIA

Of course, it depends on what you setup is, where the pipes and pump are
located in relation to heated areas of the building, etc. Heat tape and/or
insulation or boxing in the pump and tank area etc. may be all you need.

You haven't had much of a problem so far, except for some ice blocking in
the morning every once in a while.

Since it is a well, you don't pay for water, although you do pay to power
the pump. Maybe you could just keep an eye on the overnight temps and if it
is going to be cold enough, let the water run more than just a drip during
the overnight or just run the water briefly a few times during the night.

If you are really ambitious and can upload a few photos, that may help.