Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Oven temps

"Tim+" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Wifey is beginning to think that our gas oven isn't working as it should,
ie, things are taking too long to cook. She's had some potatoes in there
(she's making 'Slimming World chips'), on gas mark 9, for almost 50
minutes now and they're almost, but not quite, ready yet. On the other
hand, a joint of beef roasts in what she considers 'normal' time,
although she does come from the 'slow cook for long time' school of
thought on that.

How does one go about checking correct operation of gas oven and making
sure that 'gas mark 9' really is gas mark 9 - and what do you do if it
isn't working as it should?

One of the big differences I noticed after moving from a gas oven to an
electric fan oven was how much less the latter was effected by the "wet
load".

Fill a gas oven with baking potatoes and you can be sure they'll take
twice
as long as you expect. Do the same with a fan oven and the just seem to
cook at the prescribed pace. I dunno whether it's down to the position
of
the oven thermostat or what, but fan ovens just seem to "do what it says
on
the tin". I wouldn't go back to a gas oven now.

When you burn gas, you get water. So electric ovens are bound to dry things
out quicker.