Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Should I worry?

On 26 Oct 2013 18:25:07 GMT, KenK wrote:

I live in a rural area in the far SW corner of AZ. In the past, with rare
long-ago exceptions, the coldest it gets is 28 or so, possibly 25 F. And
that during maybe a week or so only early in the morning until the sun
comes up.

Of course, being me, I worry about burst pipes every time it gets below 32.
Actually, how cold for how long does it have to get before pipes can get
damaged? Yes, I know about leaving the water drip but that doesn't always
seem to work - I've still had them blocked by ice early in the morning.
Then too, there's the well pump, water tank and associated plumbing,

So you're living in the house and it has heat, right?

Winter is getting close. It's down to the low 90s during the day.g Worth
getting exposed pipes insulated? I suspect that would be expensive. At my
age - 79 - I can't do too many things myself anymore.

So it's only the exposed pipes that need something? I think that grey
split foam tubing would be enough too, since it doesn't get that cold
and only for a couple hours, but I add that I used that stuff in my
house and it definitely doesn't work hours and hours. I had the hope
that the warm water would come out warm at the sink farthest from the
water heater. I could only insulate the copper pipe in the basement.
The part going from the basement ceiling up the wall to the bathroom
on the second floor is still bare. After a while, the water is cold
again (and I have to wait until hot water comes all the way from the
water heater.) It might take 2 hours, maybe less.

How old is the house btw. Have any pipes ever burst before? What do
your neighbors do, esp. the ones with similar houses.

Needlessly worrying?

I hate to say yes, in case the answer is no.

TIA