Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default 12v from Auto

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:51:48 -0400, Martin Riddle
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:19:10 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:00:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 04:49:03 +0000 (UTC), Frosted Flake
wrote:

When I hook up a voltmeter to a power plug in my car, I read a bit over
13VDC without the engine running. Wit the engine running, I get
somewhere around 16VDC. I have a device that uses a wallwart rated at
12VDC out and it reads, no load, about 13VDC, like with the auto motor
off from the power plug. If I hook the device to the power plug in the
auto, should I be concerned about the 16VDC when the motor is runing?
If so, any suggestions as to how to keep the power to the device closer
to 12-13VDC?

Unless you are in a very cold climate (say -10°C or below), 16V is
wa-a-a-ay too high with the engine running.

First order of business would be to check your alternator regulator.

With engine running, cold: 15.1V, hot: 13.3V

As for your "device", automotive transients will kill it.

Buy something like these to solve your problem...

http://tinyurl.com/km4jqre

...Jim Thompson

---
I like this clever no-brainer:

http://www.amazon.com/ENERGIZER-Inve...dapter+for+car

But, he needs 12vdc regulated, something like a sepic converter would
work with the 10v-15.5v input.

or maybe this ( cant seem to find the spec s)

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-12V-2A-Converter/dp/B000KGKFA4

cheers

I have something similar that has adapter plugs for various brands of
laptop. (The plugs contain a resistor that sets the voltage :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |