Posted to uk.d-i-y
Piers Piers is offline

Default Thoughts on fitting RCBOs

On 25/10/2013 17:07, ARW wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , ARW
writes

If it matters the CU is a Crabtree Starbreaker with a single 80A
switch/30mA RCD and 14 MCBs and a DIN mount bell transformer.

Apart from the cost, am I crazy?

Bill.

Whip off the front cover and take a photo of the inside of the CU.
That looks like the SB6000 and you cannot get single module RCBOs
for that model. And it would be cheaper to replace the CU
considering Crabtrees prices.

There should be one at

http://s117.photobucket.com/user/G8I...zps52f6bcf2.jp
g.html

If I do end up having to use something else do you recommend any one
in particular?

You will struggle to get the RCBOs to fit that.

As Stephen says the Denmans Curve is rather good. But so is the Hager
Invicta (a bit more commercial). Maybe Tim Watts could post a photo of his
Hager board.

My own view is that the Hager will cost more but is more future proof should
you wish to add modules such as the door bell transformer.

I have a Hager Invicta 3 board - a 36 way one, so plenty of room for
expansion (which is planned). Very happy with it - oddles of room for
wiring inside, but it's big and obvious - so you need to want a big
obvious CU!

With the Invicta you need to be careful to buy the Hager ADB RCBOs, not
the ADNs. (I think they're pretty similar, but the ADBs have much
longer flying neutral and earths to fit the Invicta boards.)