Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default The stronger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_hardeningOn Thu, 24 Oct 2013 09:24:47 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I want to put some lateral pieces under my trailer frame to stiffen it.
They will run from side to side, and weld on. My choices are channel,
heavy angle, I beam, and hitch stock. Which would be better in terms of
supporting sag, and holding up weight over a 77" span?

Thanks

Steve

I beam has the best load bearing. But there may be other factors. I
used Channel on my truck bed rebuild becase I wanted to weld in a
stake pocket on each cross support. And a 5th wheel support in the
center. Also needed channel for the front back and sides. So doing the
whole thing out of channel was best.

Karl