Posted to alt.home.repair
B Coonrad B Coonrad is offline

Default Seal ends of pressure treated lumber?

replying to John Richards, B Coonrad wrote:
jrichar3 wrote:

I don't remember where I read it but I recall reading a recommendation to
"seal" the ends of pressure treated lumber when used as railing caps. I
don't know if they were talking about something like Thomson water seal or
something meant specifically for end grain. Any comments?

The line of PT posts/lumber on the west coast, Wolmanized, offered an end
cap sealant that was painted on so as to minimize the capillary absorbtion
of moisture wicking up the end grain, especially for use in fence posts
buried in concrete. Yellow Wood seems to be the east coast version and I
came across your inquiry while researching the same. Hope this
helps...I'm sure it's not any of Thompson's products!!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ber-19556-.htm