Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default OT Tire pressure sensors

On 10/23/13 11:44 PM, Bill wrote:
Tegger wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

Anyone think those are a money saving devices?

They're not meant to be money saving.

They're meant to satisfy an NHTSA safety regulation that all tires have
their pressures monitored by an on-board computer.

The idea is that you'll thus be less likely to have a blowout that
might
cause the vehicle to crash and kill you. Not that that's particularly
likely anyway, but once activists and bureaucrats get a bee in their
bonnets, there's no stopping them.

I just learned that
the sensors in tires should be replaced every time you buy tires

Who told you that? It's wrong. The TMPS sensor should unscrew from the
valve stem, allowing it to be transferred to the new valve stem that
will
come with the new tire.

I was under the impression the sensor was viewing a profile of the
tire. I could be wrong, but I don't think there is anything attached
to the valve stem!

Take a look at the pictures at

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=152