Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Bench Finish?

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:55:21 AM UTC-5, Casper wrote:
Otherwise, wipe it down with tung oil, yearly. Sonny Finally got this folding bench cleaned and sanded. I picked up some tung oil but haven't put it on yet. Since this bench is going to remain indoors now, I am hesitant on finish. Wish I knew what was originally used on it. Anything to be wary of since I don't know the original finish? I suspect it was oil of some type.. It's not a spectacular bench but it is strong, steady and useful. Figure it will last a long time once I get it completed.

I doubt you can go wrong with your tung oil, "tung oil" ~~~ even if the product is a blend of ingredients. Later, if you want something different, simply lightly sand and apply whatever else. Spar urethane discolors to a yellowish hue, over time, so that might not be a best alternative choice.

Sonny