Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default OT Tire pressure sensors

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:40:23 AM UTC-4, Tegger wrote:
wrote in :

This isn't all SUVs, it was certain Ford Explorers with a SUV body on

a passenger car suspension and the wrong tires spec'ed because Ford

was in bed with Firestone.

Not quite.

Ford was seeking a softer ride for the Explorer, so they specified a lower

pressure than Firestone spec'ed for that tire. The problem was that by

spec'ing such a low pressure they removed the safety factor, meaning that

only a little pressure could be lost before the tire was in danger of

overheating. Then one day an Explorer in Texas during a heat wave had a

low-pressure situation, a tire blew, the vehicle rolled and somebody died..

I can't quite remember now, but I believe the deceased was beltless.

Ford tried to blame Firestone, which did their own investigation,

discovered the non-authorized pressure setting, and disclaimed

responsibility. Then the lawyers and activists got involved and we now have

mandated TPMS. Never mind that Texas-type incidents are vanishingly rare

("if it saves just one life!"; "it's for the Children!").

They are hitting a fly with a huge government sledge hammer.

An expensive and troublesome government sledgehammer. I've noticed a

surprising number of people just ignoring the light. They check the

pressures and they're all apparently fine, so they give up.

--

Tegger

I had a Volvo in which one of the sensors went bad. I'd get the warning on very hot days, temps over 90 F. The first time it went on, I pulled over and checked the tires; all were OK. After a few times, I just started ignoring it. I routinely check the tire pressure on both cars and the truck every month.

Paul